SOCIAL ORIENTATION AND COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT (SOCI)
The Social Orientation and Community Involvement Office (SOCIO) is the official arm of the institution to carry out the third function of a higher education institution – i.e. EXTENSION.
SOCI provides opportunities to the community of PATTS College of Aeronautics to exemplify the spirit of concern and communal participation in ending poverty through engaging with programs and strategies that build economic growth and addresses a range of social needs including education, health, social protection, and job opportunities, while tackling climate change and environmental protection. This, in a way, expands the simple teacher-student off campus activities to a full-blown service to the community and to the country.
The Social Orientation and Community Involvement Office (SOCIO) was created to initiate community extensions, services, and outreach projects. The SOCIO coordinates with the different departments, students, and teaching and non-teaching personnel of the College for the implementation of their programs, activities, and projects which covers education, livelihood, decent work and economic growth, sustainable community, responsible consumption and production, climate action, environmental protection and enhancement, cleanliness and sanitation, proper nutrition, good health and well-being, gender equality, reduced inequalities, peace, proper justice, sports development and others.
A Social Orientation and Community Involvement Office that is a powerful support in social upliftment and in meeting local and national challenges and opportunities.
For the Partnered Community:
A community with sustainable sources to support physiological needs, a strong security and safe environment, fulfilled social belongingness, established self-esteem, a high level of individual potentials, and well-rounded citizens.
For the PATTS Community:
1. Transformed professionals dedicated to share their abilities, resources, and training to promote quality of life, human advancement, and development of the country;
2. Lifelong learners – to enhance not only their social inclusion, active citizenship, and personal development, but also self-sustainability, as well as competitiveness and employability; and
3. Better and well-rounded citizens of the community and the country.
To strengthen and improve the community of PATTS College of Aeronautics in working for the better transformation of everyone’s lives through the engagement of people who share the same mindset – of possessing the core values of the College.
For the Partnered Community:
1. To help in the upliftment of a community’s economic standing through employment, other job opportunities, or establishment of enterprises;
2. To assist the City of Parañaque, as well as its neighbour cities, in the clean-and-green campaigns;
3. To promote a smoke-free and drug-free environment within the community and the country; and
4. To work hand-in-hand with the local and national government for the development and innovation of the community and the country.
For the PATTS Community:
1. To support PATTSeans in developing a wholesome personality and sound moral and spiritual values as they engage in serving the less fortunate in the community;
2.To help recognize their own integral role in the growth of the community and the country;
3. To promote awareness of and develop responsibility for the Philippine socio-economic situation by confronting basic community problems to improve quality of life;
4. To nurture PATTSeans’ sense of volunteerism towards service to the nation, especially the less fortunate in the community;
5. To instill among PATTSeans a strong desire to improve and maintain sanitary environmental conditions; and
6. To develop sense of achievement and pride in doing tasks using their own skills and competencies in helping the poor so that they may live with dignity and integrity
For PATTS Community:
1. Promote civic engagement and social awareness and responsibility;
2. Encourage strong individual attachment to their community;
3. Develop and fine-tune communication, collaboration, and leadership skills.
4. Enhance critical thinking and problem-solving skills;
5. Learn more about social issues, their root causes, and potential solutions;
6: Have an opportunity to meet interesting people and expand network; and
7a. Build connections that can potentially lead to future employment (for the students)
7b. Build connections that can potentially increase serviceability (for teaching and non-teaching personnel)
For the Partnered Community and the Country:
United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) – The Sustainable Development Goals are the blueprint to achieve a better and more sustainable future for all. They address the global challenges we face, including those related to poverty, inequality, climate, environmental degradation, prosperity, and peace and justice (UN-SDG, 2015). 1. End poverty in all its forms everywhere
2. End hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition and promote sustainable agriculture
3. Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages
4. Ensure inclusive and quality education for all and promote lifelong learning
5. Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls
6. Ensure access to water and sanitation for all
7. Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable, and modern energy for all
8. Promote inclusive and sustainable economic growth, employment and decent work for all
9. Build resilient infrastructure, promote sustainable industrialization and foster innovation
10. Reduce inequality within and among communities
11. Make communities inclusive, safe, resilient, and sustainable
12. Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns
13. Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts
14. Conserve and use the oceans, seas, and marine resources
15. Sustainability manage forests, combat desertification, halt and reverse land degradation, halt biodiversity loss
16. Promote just, peaceful, and inclusive societies
17. Revitalize the local and national partnership for sustainable development
SOCI CORE VALUES
SOCIO’s vision, mission, and goals are grounded in what we value:
1. Positivity – We believe that instead of getting stuck in the negativity, we should figure out how to see the brighter side of life so that everyone can do anything better.
2. Engagement – We involve ourselves, the community of PATTS, together with its partnered communities in every action and decision-making to achieve whatever we believe for the betterment of the country.
3. Transformation – “Transformation is not five minutes from now. It’s a present activity. In this moment you can make a different choice, and it’s these small choices and successes that build up over time to help cultivate a healthy self-image and self-esteem.” - Jillian Michaels
4. Innovation – We pursue new inventive approaches for achieving our goals, taking advantage of creative communication for our outreach and extensions.
5. Collaboration – We work as a team within PATTS community and with our partners. We share ideas and try to align our efforts with those of others who are dedicated to achieve the goal of transforming the society for the improvement of the community.
6. God-Centeredness – We believe that in order for us to have a path and direction, we must follow a spiritual belief.
7. Empathy – We involve human perspectives in all steps and framework solutions to any problem and issue.